Rural schools face difficulties recruiting and retaining a qualified teacher workforce. Potential contributing factors include social and collegial isolation, lower salaries, multiple grade or subject teaching assignments, and lack of familiarity with rural schools and communities. Together, these challenges can discourage teachers from accepting rural positions or cause them to leave rural settings after teaching there for only a short time.
We welcome personal narratives, lesson plans, critical reflections on teaching, vignettes from the classroom, anything you’d like to share with a broader readership.
1. Manuscripts are accepted for consideration with the understanding that they are original material and are not under consideration for publication elsewhere. Authors who wish to use their published manuscript in an edited book or other compilation of articles may do so but first must obtain written permission from the editor.
2. Title page with full title plus full name of each author with current affiliation, position held, and e-mail address.
3. Manuscripts should be prepared following guidelines established in the publication manual of the American Psychological Association.
4. We highly encourage photographs and other graphics and hyperlinks to online multimedia objects or other online materials. Authors should label graphs and tables appropriately and ensure that all links are active at the time of submission.
5. All research must have approval of the Institutional Review Board if the author is affiliated with a post-secondary institution. Otherwise, authors must have, in their possession, participants’ consent letters for the conducted research.
6. Include an abstract of 100 words.
Once the editor determines that the manuscript’s format and content are appropriate for the journal, the manuscript is then sent through a blind peer-review process. Names of reviewers will not be released to authors, nor will reviewers know the identities of authors whose work they review. The review process will take 4-8 weeks. Authors will be notified of the recommendations of the review panel and will be provided with copies of the reviewers’ comments.
Deadline February 1, 2019. Send all submissions to the editor, John Pruitt, at wi.english.journal @ gmail.com.